Friday 24 October 2014

The interview


The interview that will honestly be one of scariest things I think I've ever had to do and of my own choosing. I'm not someone who has ever really had to deal with anxiety, except for a bout the night before.

A decision I made a couple years ago to follow through on things, to push myself, it’s my goal.

A personality profile was my assignment for journalism class. The struggle to find someone worth profiling hung over my head for a while until it just popped I to my head.

A random phone call to a friend was what led to my pitch.


Fred was at an autograph table when I got to the Pyramid cabaret. Donning child-like smile, ear to ear, I approached him.

“Hey, I’m Kris Sorensen. I’m in creative communications at Red River, I’d like to do a personality profile on you.” Walking away shakily excited with a yes.


Monday was the big interview with Fred Penner, my childhood idol.

For those of you that don't know him, this is his website.

Running to my car after digital publishing, racing to Stella’s in the village for our lunch date, my anxiety still insanely high. Until five minutes before the interview. Calmness filled my body, back to basics, my usual sense of detachment from worry.

That man is one of the most modest I’ve ever met. Well aware of the power he has to this day, he wields it with outmost discern. Laughing and crying to the stories and experiences he shared with me, my two-lunch felt like a coffee break. It was over as quickly as it started. The then anxiety was now a high. A high I’m still experiencing four days later.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweets by @Bowserfoto